With the publication of its 2013 sustainability performance, Alcatel-Lucent is affirming its commitment to sustainability, responsible business practice and innovation in making communications more sustainable, affordable, and accessible.
Alcatel-Lucent differentiates itself as a responsible business innovator across three main areas:
- A best-in-class compliance programme promoting zero tolerance for compliance violations. Applicable to employees, contractors and sub-contractors, and includes an outright ban on the use of sales agents.
- Sustainability as a key requirement across the supply chain. Alcatel-Lucent requires sustainability commitments; it assesses the sustainability performance of its suppliers and subcontractors in line with its supplier code of conduct and the United Nations Global Compact requirements.
- Eco-innovation across the product portfolio while raising the bar for the industry. Alcatel-Lucent applies leading energy efficiency requirements for its product and solutions portfolio while focusing on reducing its own operational carbon footprint. Through the Bell Labs-led research consortium GreenTouch™, in 2013 it showed a 90% reduction in network energy consumption is possible with 2020 traffic growth. GreenTouch is working with over 48 members worldwide to make telecommunications networks up to 1,000 times more energy efficient for the ICT sector.
- Highlights of 2013:
- 10% of Bell Labs patents involved energy related and green innovations
- 97% of electronic waste was recycled or reused; the company reduced its carbon footprint by over 32%
- 100% of business was assessed for corruption risks
- Published implementation measures of the Industry Dialogue Guiding Principles on Human Rights Freedom of Expression and Privacy
- Published first Conflict Minerals Report
- 65,000+ youth benefited from Alcatel-Lucent Foundation’s work, newly dedicated to helping youth innovate in a digital world
- Alcatel-Lucent received a 100% score on the 2014 Corporate Equality Index
- Continued fostering award winning employee-led innovation on the topic of diversity through StrongHer
For the second year in a row Alcatel-Lucent was named Technology Hardware & Equipment Industry Group Leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. The company was included – also for a second year running - in RobecoSAM’s Sustainability Yearbook, with Industry Leader and Gold Class awards, and which lists the top-scoring 15% of the world’s largest 2,000 companies across 59 different sectors. Alcatel-Lucent was also given Gold Recognition in its CSR evaluation by EcoVadis, placing it in the top 2% of assessed suppliers in all industrial categories.