Ethical Corporation is now Reuters Events - LEARN MORE
Sustainable business leadership anchored by investments in market integrity, its people and the world
NEW YORK, June 2, 2014 — BNY Mellon, a global leader in investment management and investment services, today released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report, highlighting its sustainable business practices and demonstrated investments in market integrity, its people and the world. The report, available online at bnymellon.com, features videos, case studies articles and analysis that illustrate the company's CSR-driven performance, milestones and leadership during 2013.
“We are proud to highlight the many examples of how we continue to help strengthen financial markets, benefiting people and communities,” said BNY Mellon Chairman and CEO Gerald Hassell. “This focus helps our clients – individuals, investors, central banks, pension funds, universities and others around the world – achieve important goals and benefit society.”
BNY Mellon has placed a global social responsibility focus on priority areas that include ethics and transparency; strong governance; responsible investments; operational reliability and effectiveness; excellent talent; and community commitment.
The 2013 report features the company’s progress toward achieving its long-term CSR goals, including:
- Recognition as a CSR leader by inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index and as the highest-performing financial services firm globally in the CDP’s Climate Disclosure and Performance Leadership indices.
- $754 billion or 48% of our assets under management are covered by United Nations Principles for Responsible Investing. Additionally, we manage $73 billion in investments explicitly screened for environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors.
“Corporate Social Responsibility is instilled within BNY Mellon’s business practices and behavior,” said John Buckley, director of Corporate Social Responsibility for BNY Mellon. “By integrating CSR into our business, we better serve our clients and contribute to the health of the financial system.”
Highlights of the report include:
- Strong results in stress testing and capital levels;
- Improving systems availability, with a 20 percent reduction in the frequency of client-impacting events;
- Expanding the use of a new software architecture platform, enhancing systems reliability and efficiency;
- Launching a Supplier Relationship Management program to provide more comprehensive, consistent oversight of our third party suppliers; and,
- Achieving a 34 percent reduction in our greenhouse gas emissions since 2008.
The report also highlights strategies for attracting, engaging, developing and retaining a talented and diverse workforce, pivotal for delivering world-class client service and marketplace innovation. Noted accomplishments in this pursuit include:
- Launching BNY Mellon University, a comprehensive innovative learning and development platform for our employees; and,
- Continued increases in workforce diversity, with women or individuals from diverse backgrounds representing 35 percent of global hires and promotions at the Managing Director levels and above and 50 percent of Vice Presidents.
Through the company’s global Community Partnership efforts, BNY Mellon and its employees look to make communities better places to live and work, locally and globally. Measurable impact and progress is reported on strategic philanthropy, employee community involvement, diverse supplier development and environmental stewardship.
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. As of March 31, 2014, BNY Mellon had $27.9 trillion in assets under custody and/or administration, and $1.6 trillion in assets under management. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK).
Learn more at bnymellon.com, or follow us on Twitter @BNYMellon.