Apr 10, 2017
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply:
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
BSR is seeking a Director of Sustainability Futures to lead a new initiative that is one of the key features of BSR’s strategic 2020 plan. BSR member companies are navigating rapid and fundamental changes to their products, competitive landscape, and purpose. Therefore, BSR’s new strategic plan includes a commitment to integrating futures thinking into our efforts to “redefine sustainable business.” The Director, a newly-created position, will shape and play a leading role in BSR’s work with its more than 250 member companies and multiple partners in civil society, academia, and philanthropy, by enabling an understanding of the fast-changing environment in which sustainable business is defined and implemented.
The Director will lead a small team dedicated to sustainability futures and help the organization integrate future thinking into BSR’s existing areas of expertise. The Director will also play a role in bringing futures thinking and forecasting skills into BSR’s consulting engagements, content generation, and collaborative initiatives. The Director will therefore work closely with colleagues across BSR’s eight global offices to build greater understanding of emerging developments shaping the future of business and society. This position will be filled in either BSR’s San Francisco or New York office, with a reporting relationship to the CEO and/or other member(s) of the BSR Executive Team.
The Director, Sustainability Futures, is responsible for the following:
• Generating project opportunities on the future of sustainable business, including consulting projects with member companies, grant-funded projects supported by foundations, and collaborative initiatives involving business, stakeholders, and other experts.
• Generating an annual state of sustainability futures report and associated content as a standalone product, as well as to inform analysis and strategies emerging from BSR’s other Areas of Expertise and Industry teams
• Strengthening BSR’s internal capacity to generate futures-oriented offerings, including scenario planning exercises as part of our ongoing projects.
• Expanding BSR’s network of content partners to extend beyond familiar sustainability experts, eventually including experts in technological, cultural, economic, and environmental changes relevant to business.
• Representing BSR externally with member companies, at priority events, and other gatherings.
• Contributing both to the annual BSR planning cycle and strategic planning processes to ensure that BSR understands and is positioned to act upon underlying changes in the external operating environment.
• Managing a small team and working closely with leaders of BSR’s six areas of expertise and BSR’s industry teams.
• Contributing to the development of the program for the annual BSR Conference and select regional events
NOTE: Only candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
• 8-10 years’ experience in futures, with a strong preference for futures work directly relevant to sustainable business, in an environment relevant to BSR’s activities as a mission-driven organization working with the world’s most sophisticated companies
• Demonstrated expertise in conducting scenario planning and/or forecasting activities, ideally on or related to subjects relevant to BSR’s work
• Ability to expand BSR’s network of thought partners to include new voices relevant to futures thinking, and able to expand the horizons of BSR’s project teams
• Sustainability content knowledge and experience with business and international focus preferred
• Demonstrated ability to convey expertise to others with a view to enabling others to integrate futures thinking into their own efforts
• Strong ability to work across multiple topics
• Global knowledge and experience required, and fluency in another language preferred, especially French, Spanish or Chinese
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to develop partnerships and manage relationships with external partners that yield significant value
• Graduate degree, such as an MBA, M.S., or M.A. preferred
• High ethical standards and commitment to BSR’s core values of leadership, integrity, and respect
• Highly entrepreneurial and self-directed
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture, and skill is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.